To Our Patients:
Three months in and no end in sight.
While plans are moving for re-opening of our communities and small businesses, there are still many questions about what the future holds. Some of these questions relate to how EWC is continuing to adapt and modify our procedures in response to updates on the current health situation, and I am here to answer those questions about our operations.
Chiropractic care is, and always will be, an essential service. That is why my office has remained open through this entire health scare. Many of our sanitation procedures are still the same as before the pandemic, but we have also added some new ones:
- Treatment room doors will remain open to allow you less contact with surfaces. If you would prefer a closed room treatment, please let Margaret or myself know. Additionally, when weather permits we are offering adjustments outside — again, to allow for less time and contact in-clinic.
- Treatment tables are sanitized using CAVICIDE, a medical-grade disinfectant, with you in the room, and face cradle paper is unrolled just before you lie on the table.
- I am cleansing my hands using DōTERRA On Guard sanitization spray before each of your treatments, after I have wiped down the table, and I encourage you all to wash your hands before and after your appointments.
- Appointments have been spaced out to maintain the recommended 6ft of distancing.
- Telemedicine appointments are available for those who are under active care for an injury, to receive instruction on ergonomics, exercises, or other lifestyle modifications. (Note: these may not be covered by your insurance plan in some cases)
Mask use is now mandated in Multnomah county. We will not, however, turn any patient away who does not or cannot wear a mask.
I can happily tell you that no patients have reported any illness related to COVID-19 at this time. My daughter was born in the midst of this pandemic — I would not be here with you if I were worried for her or my family’s safety. I am honored to be one of your trusted healthcare providers and thank you for your patronage. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to reach me at any time.
David Juratovac, DC CCWP RYT
Owner, ELEVATE Wellness + Chiropractic
ADJUSTMENT STYLES AND TECHNIQUES
Patients can sometimes become confused with chiropractic and how it helps them when doctors utilize different methods of delivering an adjustment. Why use a clicker as opposed to your hands, or a table that drops from underneath you instead of a deep vibration?
The first adjustment was delivered by hand, and B.J. Palmer, the developer of chiropractic, continued this trend throughout chiropractic’s early history. As technology began to improve, Dr. Palmer used it to his advantage in order to better identify and correct vertebral subluxation. At the end of the day, though, he used this manual adjustment style to ensure the best connection of brain to body.
Manual adjustments are the way Dr. Juratovac prefers to care for his patients. The key to this adjusting style is speed, rather than force. The purpose of the adjustment is to cause neurons that respond to stretching of muscles to fire, and retrain the brain about what should be moving, when it should move, and how it should move. Utilizing this technique is dependent on skill, not just blindly pushing a joint to the extreme end of its natural motion.
An Activator is another technique that Dr. J can use to adjust his patients. You can imagine this tool as a hammer, once again with a quick and very shallow movement. This tool is often used on smaller body parts like wrists or elbows, and can even be used on young children or frailer adults. For those who are a nervous about a fully manual adjustment, this tool is a great segue into building comfort and a sense of safety about the adjustment.
Finally, a drop table is another common adjustment technique. Drop tables, just like an activator, removes the twisting that sometimes is uncomfortable or can scare patients. Again, a quick, shallow drop of the table beneath the region to be adjusted allows the stretch receptors to fire and reset the brain into a better pattern.
At the end of the day, the most important part is that you’re getting adjusted, makes sure the brain and body are in good connection. We all have different shapes and sizes, so one method of adjustment may not work for everyone. Having a conversation with your chiropractor about your concerns, questions, and needs, ensures that you are receiving the best care for you.
A HISTORY LESSON FOR CHIROPRACTIC
It’s a strange word, but just like all words in our language, it is derived from Greek origins. When Daniel David Palmer was developing chiropractic, his hands were his tools. In Greek, “cheir” means hand, and “praktos” means done, and this form of care was “done by hand.”
The first adjustment was delivered by D.D. Palmer in 1895 to a partially deaf janitor. After his treatment, Harvey Lillard later reported that his hearing had improved after the intervention—something no other doctor or professional at the time had been able to do.
D.D. Palmer opened the first school for chiropractic two years later in a small town in Iowa. In the century since, chiropractors have used spinal adjustments to help people of all shapes, ages, and sizes prevent and cope with pain, headaches, muscle soreness, and a variety of other physical challenges. Millions of people benefit from the work of chiropractors every day.
HOW ARE YOU TRAINED TODAY?
While the art of chiropractic may not have changed much over the course of its history, the training of chiropractors certainly has. Chiropractors go through a minimum of four years of schooling to learn the art, science, and philosophy of chiropractic. This education is generally preceded by an undergraduate degree in a life science, or several years of experience in another health care field.
Chiropractic students must spend a minimum of 4,200 hours in a classroom setting, learning anatomy, biology, chemistry, nutrition, radiology, chiropractic history and technique, and a number of other topics. In addition, students have 1,000 hours of fully supervised clinical training with a practicing chiropractor, learning appropriate diagnosis and treatment techniques to help you heal and restore your body to its fully functioning state.
WHY MORE ACHE & PAIN THAN BEFORE
For anyone who has experienced chiropractic adjustment, has felt first-hand what happens to the body when the brain is reconnected to the rest of your systems, you know that change doesn’t come easy. Individuals who search out ELEVATE Wellness + Chiropractic know that something needs to change, that the level of health you came in with is not how you want to live your life.
The process of change is uncomfortable. Think about a caterpillar becoming a butterfly. In order to move from its grounded state to one of freedom in the air, the insect must first be locked in a cocoon: cramped, dark, lonely. It must change, it must make new habits, new systems, new patterns, because the old ones won’t help it fly. While chiropractic won’t help you grow wings, it will help you reach that new level of health.
When we have a poor curve in our neck, or a spine that is not aligned appropriately for your body, muscles over time will become comfortable with this pattern. If we wish to modify this structure, and help the body to heal, it must go through a period of breaking old habits and patterns—this may not be comfortable, but it will all be for your good in the end.
The same process occurs when you commit yourself to a new workout program. Think of how sore and achy your muscles are after that first workout! When you go back the following day for another round or sweaty torment, you probably won’t be as sore after the workout, assuming all other parts of the experience are the same; why is that? Your muscles have begun to make new habits and patterns, and your chiropractic treatment is exactly the same concept. Change takes time, and it can sometimes be uncomfortable.
SEVEN REASONS CHIROPRACTIC MAKES SENSE
- It’s effective. Your nervous system is the master control, signaling every cell, tissue, and organ of your body. The primary focus of chiropractic is the restoration of your nervous system’s full function. As your nervous system works better, so do you.
- It’s natural. Chiropractic adds nothing foreign to your body. Likewise, it never removes parts or takes anything out. Instead, chiropractic helps restore proper control and regulation of your body so health can return, naturally.
- No negative side effects. There are no warning labels required for chiropractic. In fact, you might even see improvement as a side effect! Some of these improvements include more energy, increased endurance, better balance, and improved coordination.
- It’s safe. Chiropractic is so safe, even newborn infants get adjusted to correct any trauma from the birth process. Care is tailored to each patient’s goals, problems, and age.
- No obligations. Check out our website, or schedule a consult with the doctor to see if you’re a good candidate for chiropractic care. If you are, great! If not, we’ll recommend another professional we think can help you.
- Patients keep coming back. If chiropractic were really something that didn’t work, it would have faded from existence a century ago. However, it continues to be a thriving method of health with high levels of patient satisfaction. It just works, whether you “believe” it or not.
- It’s the smart choice. Doesn’t it make sense to correct the underlying problem, rather than numbing the body with drugs?
If you know someone who needs to check out chiropractic, please send him or her to our office. At the very least, share these reasons of why chiropractic makes sense.
What we Offer
Monday 10am-5:30 pm
Wednesday 2pm-5:30 pm
Friday 7:30am- 1:30pm
Saturday By Appt only